Monday 5 May 2014

Our home renovation!


It's been a really busy time and a while since my last post, but I'm back into it now and thrilled to be announcing a new series for the blog - a series that will be following my own home renovation. I'll be starting today with how we've come to choose our architect, and bring you up dates over the coming months on the steps we go through as part of the design and build process as well as interior choices that we make.

My husband and I have been up and down over the past year about whether or not to renovate. Our house currently has 3 bedrooms, but there isn't enough space to accommodate everything we need - nor even enough for us and our three little boys to all have our own spaces. Some readers will already know that my middle son, Hugo, is disabled, and we have a serious need to 'future proof' our house with better access for him, disabled-friendly bathrooms, space for the other boys to have their own rooms, along with the ability to have a live-in carer if we need one down the track. We have also requested a master suite - capturing ocean views if we can - so it's a tricky (and expensive sounding!) brief to say the least.

But a few months ago I was reading architecture blog, Design Hunter, who was talking about her own home renovation and the architect she had used. I loved the look of her house so much that it sparked my husband and I to make contact with the architect (incidentally I wasn't the only one who loved this - the same house was also featured last week on Vogue Living). Here are a few shots - but pop over to Bourne Blue Architecture or Design Hunter to see more.



A quick look on Bourne Blue Architecture's website  and I found more amazing homes that inspired me. 

Like the alterations to this home in North Bondi, Sydney. 




Or this Cooks Hill house (you can see more pictures here)

(All images by Bourne Blue Architecture)

So we made contact with Shane from Bourne Blue Architecture and have and have been thrilled with everything so far. He has taken measurements of our house and done measured drawings and we've handed over our VERY ambitious wish list. And now we are waiting to see what comes back! It's an exciting time and we can't wait to get started.

But the start of our renovation series wouldn't be complete without a few shots of what the house looks like at the moment. Some parts don't look too bad, I know, but let's face it - the facade could definitely do with some help!






Would love to hear about any tips or ideas you have from your own renovation experiences! Get in contact and let me know. 

Have a great day! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...